Skip to content
- What was the difference between Sky Truth’s estimates of the spill and the Coast Guard’s announcements of the spill size? Why do you think these were different?
- Why do you think the government began revising its estimates? What role did satellite imagery, SkyTruth, and university scientists play in identifying a more accurate flow rate?
- Why does the amount of oil spilled matter?
- What roles do different entities play in resolving an environmental disaster such as this? What role does government play? What role do businesses play? What role do university scientists play? What role do private citizens and nonprofit organizations play? What role does the media play?
- How can information like this be used to avoid or minimize oil spills in the future?