Oil and Gas Drilling
- Bunker Fuel Spill Near Langesund, Norway - July 31, 2009 - Location of a potential 315,000 gallon spill of heavy bunker fuel from a cargo ship that ran aground off Langesund, Norway on July 31, 2009. Location provided by World Wildlife Fund-Norway. An uncertain amount of oil has already spilled and come ashore in this area. Last updated 7/31/09 by SkyTruth.
- CBM Drilling, Wyoming - Bar-N-Draw Quadrangle.kmz Area of intensive drilling for coalbed methane (CBM) natural gas, mostly on public land in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming-Montana. Landscape has been rapidly converted to a dense network of drilling locations ("wellpads"), access roads, pipelines, utility corridors, and retention ponds to hold the large quantities of wastewater produced from CBM wells. The high-resolution Google imagery in this area is from 2006; to see earlier images from 1996, before drilling started in this area, and from 2001 when drilling was well underway, visit SkyTruth's CBM gallery at http://skytruth.mediatools.org/objects/view.acs?object_id=4420. To learn more about CBM drilling and its impacts in this area, visit the Powder River Basin Resource Council (http://www.powderriverbasin.org) and the Northern Plains Resource Council (http://www.northernplains.org). Map created by SkyTruth - 4/08
- CBM Reservoirs - Time Series - Map showing the location of a time-series of SkyTruth/Google Earth images illustrating proliferation of CBM produced-water holding reservoirs north of Sheridan, Wyoming, in the Powder River Basin. View the images here.
- Dalian Spill, China - Area covered by map showing oil slicks in the wake of the Dalian pipeline spill in China, July 2010.
- Drilling Spills Near Parachute, Colorado - Selected water contamination incidents from November 2007 through June 2008, caused by natural-gas drilling in the vicinity of the Roan Plateau of western Colorado, northwest of Parachute in Garfield County. Information provided by Western Colorado Congress and Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission incident reporting system. Prepared by SkyTruth - 7/08
- Energy Development Causes Conflict in the Rocky Mountain States - Map showing some of the areas where drilling for natural gas and oil is causing conflict with local landowners, residents, sportsmen and outdoor enthusiasts in the Rocky Mountain states of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.
Compiled by SkyTruth - August 2008.
- Exxon - Shute Creek Gas Plant Natural-gas processing facility operated by ExxonMobil Corporation. Located about 6.7 miles south-southwest of Fontenelle, Wyoming. For U.S. EPA report on this facility, click here: http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/multisys2.get_list?facility_uin=110007900806. Map prepared by SkyTruth - 1/08
- Flight Path - Tongue River / Lower Prairie Dog Creek - Potential flight path to see impacts of CBM drilling in the Powder River Basin, north of Sheridan, Wyoming. Path begins in Sheridan, flies north between the Tongue River and Prairie Dog Creek over area of intensive CBM development, crosses into Montana for a detour over the massive Decker and Spring Creek coal strip mines, then turns back toward Sheridan between the Tongue River and Prairie Dog Creek.
- Garden Gulch Drilling Spill, February 2008 Location of the frozen "waterfall" of waste drilling fluid spilled from a natural-gas drilling site located on private land on the Roan Plateau, at the head of Garden Gulch, a tributary of Parachute Creek and the Colorado River.
- Leaking Platform 23051 - Location of Platform 23051 which appears to have a small chronic leak based on observations of multiple satellite radar images taken in April and May 2010. Platform location 28.938022 North latitude / 88.970963 West longitude.
- Montana Oil and Gas Lease Sale Parcels - November 3, 2009 - Parcels (shown in red) in Montana and North Dakota being offered for oil and gas development by the US Bureau of Land Management. Zoom in, and click ont he individual parcels listed below, to see them on the map. The lease sale will take place on November 3, 2009. Public comments on these parcels must be submitted to BLM by October 19. For more information see http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/prog/energy/oil_and_gas/leasing/current_sale_list.html. Map prepared by SkyTruth using lease data from the US Bureau of Land Management.
- New Mexico Oil and Gas Lease Sale - October 2009 - Parcels (shown in red) in New Mexico being offered for oil and gas development by the US Bureau of Land Management. The lease sale will take place in Santa Fe on October 21, 2009. For more information see http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/energy/oil_and_gas/lease_sales.html. Map prepared by SkyTruth using lease data from the US Bureau of Land Management.
- Oil Fields Near Bakersfield, California The Kern River Field operated by Chevron was discovered in 1899 and is still active, thanks to enhanced oil recovery techniques (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_River_Oil_Field). Map by SkyTruth - 7/08
- Pemex Oil Spill Site, Gulf of Mexico - October 2007 General location of oil spill reported when a drilling rig collided with a Pemex oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico. Reported on October 24, 2007 (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices-legislative/5522789-1.html).
- Pinedale-Jonah Flight Path - Possible flyover route to see concentrated drilling for natural gas in on mostly public lands in western Wyoming's upper Green River valley. Start over town of Pinedale; fly southwest to north end of Pinedale Anticline field; fly south-southeast along the axis of the field where drilling is most concentrated; turn southwest to fly over the heart of the Jonah gas field.
- Potential Marcellus Shale Natural Gas Wells - Town of Candor, Tioga County, New York - June 2009 - Six new Marcellus Shale natural-gas wells under review for possible drilling in the town of Candor in Tioga County, New York.
Coal Mining and Combustion
- Kingston Fossil Plant - Tennessee Fly-Ash Spill - Location of the Tennessee Valley Authority's Kingston Fossil Plant, where a massive impoundment of coal fly-ash failed on December 22, 2008, inundating homes and covering over 300 acres with toxic sludge. For more information see:
- Hurricane Ike - Storm Track Predicted track of Hurricane Ike as of September 12, 2008 (pm). Created by SkyTruth
- Mississippi River Discharge Examples Sites showing potentially illegal discharges into the lower Mississippi River. Locations and information provided by the Lower Mississippi Riverkeeper in June 2007. Map prepared by SkyTruth - 6/21/07.